The adrenals are two triangular-shaped glands that lie above each kidney and are approximately the size of your thumb. The hormones that are secreted from the adrenals include cortisol, adrenaline and aldosterone. These hormones help to regulate metabolism, blood pressure, and the body’s response to stress. Another hormone produced by the adrenal glands, dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), is used to make androgens and estrogens, the sex hormones.
Adrenal insufficiency is a disorder that happens when the adrenals do not produce enough of these hormones. Addison’s is the name used to describe primary adrenal insufficiency when the glands are damaged and do not produce enough cortisol and aldosterone.
When these glands are physically damaged and no longer function properly, we call this Addison’s Disease.
The adrenal glands in people who have Addison’s disease are not functioning properly. Adrenal insufficiency is a disorder that happens when the adrenals do not produce enough of these hormones. Addison’s is the name used to describe primary adrenal insufficiency when the glands are damaged and do not produce enough cortisol and aldosterone. Secondary adrenal insufficiency occurs when other glands such as the pituitary gland (a gland in the endocrine system located near the base of the brain) does not produce enough of its hormone (ACTH) that stimulates the adrenals to produce cortisol. If the ACTH is too low the adrenal glands can stop producing cortisol and may shrink in size. This secondary adrenal insufficiency is more common than Addison’s disease.
Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) is also produced by the adrenals and is used to make androgen and estrogen (male and female sex hormones). Men get most androgens from the testes and women get most of their estrogen from the ovaries. When adrenal insufficiency exists, the glands may not make enough DHEA.
The most common symptoms of adrenal insufficiency include:
- Chronic fatigue
- Muscle weakness
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
Other symptoms of the disease may include:
- Nausea, vomiting
- Low blood pressure that may cause dizziness or fainting with standing
- Irritability and depression
- Skin darkening on scars, skin folds, lips, elbows, knees, knuckles, toes, and mucous membranes of the cheek. This hyperpigmentation occurs only in Addison’s and not in secondary adrenal insufficiency.
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Craving salty foods
- Irregular or nonexistent menstrual periods
- Loss of interest in sex in women
Most cases of Addison’s disease are caused by autoimmune disorders.
🌟What are you reading Wednesday✨@medicalmedium has released his third book, Thyroid Healing. I pre-ordered it months ago on @Amazon. This time of year has us pretty, crazy 😜busy keeping up with the little one’s activities, holidays, etc. So last night I stayed up late and made it to chapter 5. If I were back in my twenties I would have stayed up all night and read it cover to cover 📖💥 I can only share with you how taking Anthony’s advice and following his recommendations has helped me tremendously. How I’m now going on 2 months without any thyroid support and am thriving. Autoimmune Protocol, anti virals, clean supplements, daily exercise, daily meditations – the blessing is that my Hashimoto’s is in “remission.” I will have more bloodwork done early 2018 to make sure all my numbers are still where they should be, but I can tell you this, I feel great and I’m not suffering from any thyroid symptoms that have plagued me for years. It was a leap of faith, but everything I’ve read and am now reading in this new book resonates with me, or my mom, or a friend, or a friend’s patient. The lack of instant gratification proved challenging, but as stated before, things take time. I encourage you to read this book if you’re suffering from any type of thyroid issue, keep an open mind, and see if your intuition guides you down a slightly different path. Our guts control our health, right? So let your “gut instinct” give you some help towards healing along the way! Sending all the positivity, 💕 love, meditative energy and prayers 🙏🏼to our AIP Community! You’re on the right track and everything is possible! #heal #healthedocumentary#thyroid #hashimotosremission #medicalmedium#coloidalsilver #antivirals #keepitclean#hopeyoucandoit #aipcommunity #aipworks #paleo#antiinflammatory #thyroidhealing #ebv#epsteinbarrvirus #candida #guthealth #gutinstinct#intuition #eatrealfood #leapoffaith
I’ve been taking this for two months now – I’m a firm believer in trying it out for a while before sharing. @designsforhealth has made this “antioxidant formula using liposomal technology for superior absorption and delivery.” Why did I jump at the chance to try this? I immediately thought of the #MTHFR mutation that makes absorption of supplements and detoxifying more difficult. Then my liver damage from parasites. The need to detox while battling #candida. Glutathione is so imperative, and if I’m taking the time and spending the money on it I want to know my body is absorbing and utilizing it to its’ full potential. These past few months have shown much promise as blood test results all show I’m headed in the right direction. All good things when it comes to this supplement. 😍 #detox #liverdamage#parasites #hashimotos#digestivedysfunction #aminoacids#liposomalglutathione #GSH#deaignsforhealth #dnaprotection#thyroidhealth #heavymetaldetoxing#mthfrwarriors
To Answer more Questions about it from all of you:
- What is the purpose of Glutathione (GSH) ? -Glutathione is viewed as the bodies master antioxidant and it is most abundant in our liver making it critical in the bodies detoxification process. The depletion of Glutathione can be correlated with lower immune function and increased vulnerability to infection. Glutathione plays a major role in controlling the types of bonds formed between proteins and other substances in your body.
- What does it do for the body?- Some of the physiological functions of Glutathione are that is it responsible for redox and nucleophilic reactions that seen in the detoxification process. GSH has also been associated with assisting in combating cancer, atherosclerosis, as well as the aging process through preventing chronic low dose exposure to POPs to global hypomethylation. GSH plays a role in cell-cycle and stress oxidation regulation, as well as contributes to the mitochondrial function within our cells.
- How does it relate to Glutamine? Glutamine is an amino acid that is naturally created within the body, while Glutathione is made of three different amino acids within the body. Glutathione is correlated with detoxification and anti aging while Glutamine is correlated with immune system, brain function and digestive system.
- Why is this all important for auto immune diseases/disorders? Glutathione is a powerful defense against toxins and inflammation. It protects the body’s cells from damage, it helps detoxify the body, and supports optimal immune function.When Glutathione levels drop too low, this makes you more susceptible to autoimmune disease, multiple food sensitivities, chemical and heavy metal sensitivities, chronic inflammatory disorders, leaky gut, and other immune-related issues. Chronic stress, environmental toxins, diets low in nutrients but high in inflammatory triggers, sleep deprivation, smoking, sugar, excess alcohol, and other stressors slowly deplete glutathione levels. Glutathione levels also decrease naturally as a result of aging.
Autoimmune Awareness Monday- Vitigilo. Skin pigment discoloration, loss of pigment, can cover large parts of the body. As of now there is no cure and many questions surrounding this disease. Let me pump my brakes just a second and point out the tie in with other AI diseases/syndromes – shine in the picture. Week after week I am seeing this during my research. Let me share another vantage point regarding Vitiligo that might resonate with you. A brilliant friend and health advocate suggested her nephew suffering from Vitiligo do a GI map test. Yeast was off the charts – #candida – so then she spoke with her NP friend and suggested that she have her patients with Vitiligo run the test and 100% that tested all tested positive for candida/yeast overgrowth. So some biohacking is in process. They’re following the AIP diet and on a regiment for candida and charting symptoms and progress. Personally I’ll always maintain that what’s happening in our gut is the biggest piece of the puzzle. Knowing that not everything can be cured, but discomfort lessened, symptoms reduced/cleared up and in some cases bodies healed. It’s food for thought. Listen to your gut. #socliché #foodforthought#listentoyourgut #vitigilo #skinpigmentation#autoimmunepaleo #autoimmunedisease#autoimmunepaleo #yeastovergrowth #candida#hashimotosdisease #gravesdisease#addisonsdisease #alopecia #perniciousanemia#psoriasis #polyglandular #detox #aipworks#youcontrolyourhealth #yougotthis
It’s fall and a batch of homemade beef & lamb bone broth sounded like a great idea! The house smells amazing and I’m enjoying it immensely. I added in some organic carrots, onion, garlic, celery and Italian herbs and the flavor is out of this world. This stuff feeds my soul as well as nourishes my body. Used my @pratherranchmeatcoBones! #bonebroth #nutrientdensefoods#drinkme #beefbones #pratherranch#organiceverything #aip #aipcommunity#AIPworks #feedyoursoul #yougotthis#keepitclean
I let this cook for 20 hours on Low in the crockpot and added in 1 sheet of Kombu to help pull nutrients out of the bones. It took less than 3 minutes to prep!
What is this wizardry? @pratherranchmeatco roast, organic Brussels spouts fried up in coconut oil and no, it’s not mashed potatoes 🥔 it’s mashed turnips made with a touch of pure coconut cream and some sea salt. My only regret is that I didn’t have room for seconds 😉 Date night in – and next is some sparkling water served up in wine glasses, because we’re fancy like that😉 😂 and one last thank you to @target for the super cute Halloween table cloth 👻 🎃
Sometimes the best date nights are spent at home with the cleanest, and most delicious food to enjoy!!